West Ham looked on the brink of collapse just over a month ago, going into the international break on the back of a 3-0 humiliation at home against Burnley. Their dreadful display sparked protests among the fans, with numerous pitch invasions and calls for the board to be held accountable somewhat marring an excellent display from Burnley.
The international break followed, and when The Hammers next fixture rolled around there was tension in the air. Fortunately for them the players stepped up to the plate, hammering Southampton 3-0 to ease some of the concerns around The London Stadium. They followed that with a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge last weekend, and now find themselves in a much more comfortable situation.
West Ham now sit 14th in the Premier League, six points above the relegation zone and in higher spirits than usual. They will be confident about getting some more points on the board here as well.
That’s because Stoke have been truly dreadful recently. The change in management has done nothing to reverse The Potters fortunes, and their 2-1 loss at home to Spurs last weekend extends their winless streak to nine games in the Premier League.
The last four of these have been defeats, and whilst they have had some tough fixtures to deal with they have never shown much of a fighting spirit. This, unsurprisingly, puts them in the bottom three, sitting four points adrift of safety in 19th position.
Away from home it’s been even worse for The Potters. They haven’t won on the road in the Premier League since October, and that 1-0 win against Watford is their only away win of the season. They have lost seven of the 11 league games since then, and now face a West Ham side who, for all their faults, have only lost one of their last six home league games.
The Hammers have managed to beat Southampton, Watford, and West Brom at home over the last few months, and with Stoke sitting firmly in the same skill bracket as them we think a West Ham Win here looks a great value bet. We’re backing that alongside a 2-0 correct score predictions.
Head To Head
West Ham and Stoke have each won one, drawn five, and lost one of their last seven encounters with one another.
West Ham United vs Stoke City Stats
- West Ham are looking to secure their first league double over Stoke since the Potters’ first Premier League campaign in 2008-09.
- Stoke are winless in their four Premier League games played on a Monday this season (D1 L3), losing the last three in a row by an aggregate score of 0-6.
- West Ham are looking to secure back-to-back home Premier League wins for the first time since December 2016.
- Stoke have scored fewer goals than any other Premier League side in 2018 (7), failing to score in six of their 12 games.
- The Potters have lost their last seven Premier League visits to London, conceding 26 goals while scoring just five in reply.
- David Moyes has only lost one of his 10 previous Premier League home games on a Monday (W5 D4), a 0-3 loss against Everton with Sunderland last season.