Lazio took a huge step towards the semi-finals of the Europa League in midweek, with a 4-2 win over Salzburg. They’re pushing for Champions League qualification on two fronts, with the Aquile chasing a European trophy. However, they trail fourth by two points with eight games to play, meaning that they need to build up some form in the final stages of the campaign. They head to Udinese this weekend chasing another three points as they aim to keep up the pressure on fourth placed Inter and their city rivals Roma in third.
Lazio have made the most of their last two matches, as they’ve hit 10 goals past Benevento and Salzburg since returning from the international break. Who better to follow that up against than with a meeting against Udinese on Sunday evening? The hosts are in rotten form, and they’ve truly reverted back to normal after a brief burst of form under Massimo Oddo this term.
While their current boss enjoyed a brilliant start to life at the Dacia Arena, Udinese have recorded the same win percentage with Massimo Oddo and predecessor Gigi Delneri this season in Serie A (33.3%). The squad are really struggling at the moment, as Udinese have now lost seven Serie A games in a row for the first time in the club’s history. With Lazio scoring for fun coming in to this visit, we think there’s great value in backing the visitors to claim another victory in this trip.
Lazio’s recent away games have seen plenty of goals, with 93% of their trips this season seeing at least three goals scored. There have been over 2.5 goals in 19 of their last 20 on their travels, while the Aquile have won seven of their eight visits to bottom half teams, seeing at least three goals in each. With that in mind, a Lazio win and over 2.5 goals looks like brilliant value here.
Forward Ciro Immobile struck once again on Thursday night, meaning he’s found the back of the net in consecutive games. The striker has been brilliant for Lazio this term, and he comes in to this clash with an excellent record against the Zebrette. The Italian international has scored five goals in five appearances against Udinese so far in Serie A – only against Cagliari has he got a better record (seven goals). We expect him to strike this weekend with Lazio in great scoring form, so we’re backing Immobile to score any time here.
Head To Head
Udinese haven’t scored in any of their last six Serie A games against Lazio, picking up only one point in the process.
Udinese vs Lazio Stats
- After winning three times in a row at the Friuli, Udinese have taken only one point from four home meetings against Lazio in Serie A.
- However, the Biancocelesti have scored in 19 of their last 20 Serie A games on the road.
- Lazio’s best goal-haul in a single Serie A campaign was the 74 goals netted last season – the Biancocelesti have already scored 73 this term, with eight match-days to go.
- Lazio have scored the most goals from outside the box, excluding direct free-kicks, this season (10).
- Maxi Lopez has scored two goals in Serie A against Lazio, including his first in February 2010 when he was at Catania – although the Argentine is now goalless in his last 19 league appearances.