Lyon’s season took an unexpected turn for the worse before the international break as they were dumped out of the Europa League despite their first leg away lead over CSKA Moscow. The Russians picked up a shock 3-2 win in France, taking themselves to the next round on away goals.
Lyon bounced back from that disappointment with an entertaining 3-2 win away to Marseille, strengthening their Ligue 1 top three credentials significantly. The hosts now sit just two points behind Marseille in 4th, and they could move above them this weekend.
The hosts’ league form has been a bit sketchy recently, but they do seem to be emerging from that downturn. Their 2-0 win over Caen in the middle of March ended a six match winless run in Ligue 1, and that 3-2 win against Marseille made it back to back league wins for the first time since January. They will be fully expecting another three points here too.
Toulouse are in trouble as we come into the final eight games of the domestic season. Their 2-2 draw against Strasbourg before the international break made it six games without a win for them, and despite four of those ending as stalemates the visitors still find themselves down in 17th position. They are just a point above the relegation playoff spot below them, and defeat could send them into the dreaded bottom three.
Their overall away record this season won’t instil much confidence in the travelling fans either. They have won two, drawn four, and lost nine of their 15 trips away, and the majority of their limited success has come against similarly struggling sides. In fact, of the six away games they have picked up points in this season, five of them have been against sides in the bottom half of Ligue 1.
We’re expecting a high scoring win for the hosts here. There has been an average of 2.93 goals per game in Lyon’s home matches this season, so we’re going for a Lyon Win and Over 2.5 Goals. We also fancy Toulouse to find the net against a Lyon side who have kept just one clean sheet in their last five home league games, so we’re opting for a Lyon Win and Both Teams to Score along with a 2-1 correct score predictions.
Head To Head
Lyon have won their last six meetings with Toulouse, with at least three goals being scored in all of them.
Lyon vs Toulouse Stats
- Lyon have won each of their last six encounters with Toulouse in Ligue 1, their longest run against them in the top-flight.
- Against no other side have Lyon hosted more often without ever losing in Ligue 1 than Toulouse (W18 D5).
- Lyon have 57 points after 30 games in Ligue 1 this season, the 2nd highest tally for a team ranked 4th at this stage after St Etienne in 1979/80 (59 – converted to 3 points/win).
- Lyon are unbeaten in their last five Ligue 1 games (W2 D3), after losing each of their previous three.
- Toulouse have only won three of their last 20 Ligue 1 games (D7 L10), after winning the previous two.
- Lyon have scored in 16 of their last 17 Ligue 1 games.