A glimpse at the table shows that only two places separate Espanyol and Alaves. Both sides find themselves in the bottom half but neither side is in genuine danger of going down. The final weeks of the season aren’t likely to be particularly interesting from either club’s perspective and this game doesn’t really have the makings of a classic.
Overall, the hosts are rightly seen as the clear favourites to win it. They’ve a good recent record against Alaves and although it hasn’t been a great season, they’ve shown some positive signs at home of late.
Their last two games at the RCDE have ended in wins, with Real Madrid their first victim. They’ve lost just 1 of their last 7 at home overall in La Liga and have also beaten Atleti during that run. If they’d only picked up a few more wins in games they were expected to win, then they’d be knocking on the door of the European battle.
Their average of 1.67 points per home game is very solid though and you have to fancy them against an Alaves side that doesn’t travel well. The Basques have lost a huge 79% of their away games this season in La Liga. They’ve scored just 0.79 goals away and have conceded 1.86.
There is also the sense with Alaves that they’ve taken their foot off the gas, subconsciously at least, having put a great run together to pull themselves out of the relegation battle. They’ve lost 4 of their last 5 fixtures, with the only exception being a narrow home win over struggling Levante.
Meanwhile Espanyol have lost just 1 of their last 8 in La Liga and they do seem to have picked up a bit. Those wins over top sides certainly suggest they are a bit better than their current league position suggests. That may provide some incentive for them to kick on over the remainder of the campaign and push for a top half finish. Overall they have a bit more all-round quality in their ranks than Alaves and backing a Home Win looks the smart bet here.
Going for Espanyol & Under 2.5 Goals could also be worth considering. Their matches have tended to be very low-scoring this term with 73% of their home games and 66% of their league games overall producing under 2.5 goals.
Head To Head
Espanyol have won 4 of the last 5 meetings. The last 6 games between this pair have produced just 6 goals in total with no matches having both teams scoring.
Espanyol vs Alaves Stats
- Espanyol have lost just one of their last six league meetings versus Alaves (W3 D2), in the reverse fixture (1-0 at Mendizorroza in November 2017).
- Alavés have lost their last three games in La Liga, their worst losing streak under Abelardo Fernández.
- Gerard Moreno has scored a league-high 46.1% of Espanyol’s goals in La Liga this season (12 of 26).
- Leo Baptistao has scored two goals in his last three league appearances, as many as in his previous 19 games in the competition.
- Quique Sánchez Flores has won four of his five league games against Alavés in his managerial career (L1), having lost only the last game (0-1 in Vitoria in November 2017).