Atletico Madrid’s title hopes took a huge blow last weekend when they sank to a 1-0 defeat at Camp Nou. The result leaves them with 8 points to make up on Barcelona with only 11 games to go and clearly they are going to need a lot of favours from elsewhere. They can only handle their own business though and they will expect to win this against a Celta Vigo side which is bidding to secure Europa League football.
The Galicians have certainly improved over the past few months but it’s hard to see them getting anything here. Celta have lost 57% of their away games this season in La Liga. That’s not the kind of record that suggests they will become the first visiting team to win at the Wanda Metropolitano in the Spanish top flight.
Their overall record against Atleti is not great in recent years either. They’ve been a real threat going forward this term, with Maxi Gomez proving an excellent addition but his threat is likely to be reduced here against a physical Atleti defence and certainly we aren’t likely to see as much of Celta as a creative force as we have done against weaker opponents.
Atletico Madrid are still exceptionally good defensively. It took a moment of Messi magic to settle the top of the table clash last weekend and that was only the 12th goal that Atleti have conceded all season in the league. They boast an outstanding 63% clean sheet ratio and have shut the opposition out in 69% of their home games. They’ve won 62% of their league matches at the Wanda to nil and backing Atleti to Win to Nil looks good here again.
However in recent weeks they’ve been scoring plenty of goals and they might be able to again put up a bigger winning margin here against a shaky Celta defence which has conceded in 81% of their league matches this term.
The strike pairing of Antoine Griezmann and Diego Costa is likely to cause all kinds of problems for the Galicians. Griezmann in particular has excelled of late with 7 goals in 2 league outings prior to the Barca game and backing Griezmann to score anytime looks good here.
Meanwhile going for a 3-0 Atleti Win appeals in the correct score market with much better odds available than going for a smaller winning margin. 3 of Atleti’s last 4 games have seen them win by 3 or more goals so there looks to be value there.
Head To Head
Atleti have won the last 4 meetings. They’ve also won 4 of their last 5 home league games against Celta.
Atletico Madrid vs Celta Vigo Stats
- Atlético de Madrid have won their last five games against Celta de Vigo in La Liga, keeping a clean sheet on four occasions, their longest winning streak versus Celta in the top flight since 1952 (six).
- The Galician team have lost their last three away games in La Liga after having won the previous three.
- Griezmann has scored five goals against Celta since he joined Atletico, more than against any other team (alongside Athletic, Deportivo, Málaga and Sevilla).
- The French player has scored those five goals in his last five meetings against Celta in La Liga.
- Simeone has only lost one of his 11 games as a manager in La Liga against Celta (W9 D1).