The Champions League race in Italy is an odd one. Both Inter Milan and Roma recently went on horror runs which put their places at risk. Now, those two have picked up again and suddenly Lazio are the team out of form. They have slipped down to fifth once again, while they lost their Europa League clash on Thursday night. Can they return to form on Monday night in Serie A, when they welcome struggling visitors Hellas Verona to the Stadio Olimpico?
Verona know a thing or two about poor spells of form, they’re used to them this season. They’ve currently lost six of their last seven matches overall, which has left them second from bottom and five points shy of safety. Will they be able to take advantage of this awful run which Lazio are on? The hosts are aiming to turn things around and stay in the fight for the top four, so they can’t afford to be slipping up at home to another bottom three side.
Lazio have lost four of their last five matches coming in to Monday night’s clash, which is a run they need to turn around. Having lost 2-1 to Genoa in their last game at the Stadio Olimpico, they could have a tough time taking on Verona. The visitors recently hit four in a trip to Fiorentina, and they should catch out a struggling Lazio at the back too.
The visitors have conceded two goals per game on average in the league this term, which makes things difficult for them against a brilliant attacking force. They’ve conceded at least twice in all of their visits to top half sides, which has to continue when you look at the vast amount of attacking talent Simone Inzaghi has at his disposal. Having shipped three to Lazio in the reverse fixture, the newly promoted hosts have to hope that Lazio have another off day.
Overall Lazio have seen 88% of their Serie A games this season finish with over 3.5 goals, while they’ve averaged 2.64 goals per game at home. Given that two thirds of Verona’s away trips have seen over 2.5 goals this season, we’re expecting a high scoring finish to the Serie A weekend. Over 2.5 goals and both teams to score is our tip here, while we’re going with Lazio to shake their form and claim a much needed three points. A 3-1 home win is our correct score tip, with over 3.5 goals landing in the majority of Lazio matches of late.
Head To Head
Lazio have won each of their last four games against Verona in Serie A, scoring on average three goals per match.
Lazio vs Verona Stats
- The last time Lazio lost at home against Verona was back in December 1984 – since then for the Biancocelesti they boast eight wins and two draws.
- Lazio have lost their last three Serie A games (as many as in the previous 21) – the last time they lost four in a row was back in May 2009.
- De Vrij’s goal last time out means Lazio have now scored 12 goals via defenders so far this term – at least five more than any other team in Serie A.
- Verona have gained just one point from losing positions in Serie A this season, no side has claimed fewer.
- Only Benevento (42) have conceded more open play goals than Verona (35) in Serie A this season.
- After four goals against SPAL, Ciro Immobile has not scored in his last three Serie A appearances – the last time he went four games without a goal was back in December 2016.